Oh, holy goodness! These are a huge hit in my household right now. You might even say we have a bit of a plantain obsession currently. It all started when I saw a friend post a picture of a grass-fed burger served on a plantain "burger bun." Then the wheels started spinning!
We've made these nearly every week for the past month and served them up in a lot of different ways. As burger buns, topped with lettuce and chicken salad and even smeared with sunflower seed butter & hemp seeds. As pancakes we served them with the pineapple, almonds and a dab of local strawberry preserves.
Plantains are very nutritious too (more so than bananas) and when eaten green low-glycemic! They're loaded with dietary fiber, vitamins A & C, folate, potassium, magnesium and some B-vitamins.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo
1/2 pineapple, cubed
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. raw whole almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Toss together all ingredients to coat the pineapple. Spread pineapple evenly over a baking sheet.
3. Place in oven and roast for 20 minutes. Flip once halfway through.
4. While pineapple is cooking, place almonds on a baking sheet and toast for 5-6 minutes. Until very lightly browned and smell nutty.
5. Chop almonds and place to to side until ready to serve.
2 plantains (green is healthier than yellow, not as sweet or tender though)
2 large pasture raised eggs
1/4 c. plus 2 tbl. coconut flour
1/4 c. plus 2 tbl. unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
dash sea salt
Coconut oil, unsalted butter (we used a combo of both - feel free to sub your fat of choice)
1. Cut plantains into 1-2 inch chunks. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend on high until creamy.
2. Melt fat in a non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
3. Spoon a tablespoon and half of batter into skillet. Smooth out with spoon to form pancake shape. Cook 1-2 minutes per side.
4. Serve immediately or store in airtight container.
Yields approximately 14-16 small pancakes.
Keri Marino is an internationally Registered Yoga Teacher, Yoga Therapist and Propmaker. She owns and operates Yoga Unique offering Yoga Therapy, Classes, Workshops and Yoga products. It is her mission to empower others to have improved quality of life through the practice of Yoga!
I'm a Yoga Therapist, Teacher & Mama Bear who is all in on mindful authentic living. This blog is a collection of my passion for all things yoga, nutrition, health and cooking. Subscribe to the blog for monthly goodies delivered right to your email!