One thing I have learned from cooking with my chef husband Tanner is that great tasting food doesn't have to be complicated. When you use simple, ripe quality ingredients the most amazing flavors can be developed. This is a fresh take on a childhood comfort food Campbell's Tomato Soup. While in nutrition school I learned that many canned soups contain MSG or high quantities of sodium neither of which are ideal to consume. This is a very easy dish to throw together but still has that wow factor.
Candida Diet, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Paleo
1-1/2 tbl pasture-raised butter, unsalted (sub coconut oil for strict dairy-free)
4 large heirloom tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
3 carrots, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1 palmful fresh basil, finely chopped
1-1/4 teaspoon himalayan sea salt, ground
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1/2 bunch asparagus, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
Dash sea salt and black pepper
1. Melt butter in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute onions, carrots, garlic and celery for 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Stir in tomatoes, basil, sea salt and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Toss oil, asparagus, onion and seasoning in a medium sized bowl to coat. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 15-17 minutes in preheated oven.
5. Place soup into high-powered blender and leave a small space for air to escape in the top (otherwise you will end up with a tomato soup explosion!) Puree until it reaches a smooth consistency.
6. Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with roasted asparagus. Serve immediately
Recipe by Keri Marino
I'm a Yoga Therapist, Teacher & Mama Bear who is all in on mindful authentic living. This blog is a collection of my passion for all things yoga, nutrition, health and cooking. Subscribe to the blog for monthly goodies delivered right to your email!