A random top 5 on the ins-and-outs of Yoga practice...
1. Yoga is great for your health overall. It's a holistic way of balancing the mental, physical and spiritual dimensions of your being. Hatha Yoga (systematic physical practice) helps to create health in the body and reduce pain.
2. It's not all fairy-dust and infinite bliss, yoga is a serious practice that should be practiced intelligently with the guidance of qualified teacher or guide. Look for a Registered Yoga Teacher or one with a long history of personal practice.
3. You get the most out of Yoga if you practice at least 2-3 times per week at the minimum. Take a little time every day to breathe deep and sit quietly. In my experience, 2-3 hours per week is best. But even 5 minutes of meditation of a few yoga postures can make a big difference in your day!
4. Yoga is a detoxifying practice. It can be like a massage to the tissues of the body while interacting with several organic systems (like the nervous system). Avoid practicing on a full stomach and wait for atleast 30 minutes after class then drink two glasses of warm or room temperature water to rehydrate your body.
5. Your yoga practice should be all about you! It's one time in life when you're really invited to nourish the roots of your own being. Move a little slower if you want to. Hang out in child's pose for half the class. Be you...
Yoga is about connecting with your own being to create homeostasis. From that place of balance we are better partners, family, and friends to the people and communities we serve. Exercising through yoga or any other form several times a week is fantastic self-care that benefits the world around you! :-)
I'm a Yoga Therapist, Yoga Teacher & Mama Bear who is all in on mindful authentic living. This blog is a collection of my passion for all things yoga, nutrition, health and cooking. Subscribe to the blog for monthly goodies delivered right to your email!