Since settling into Chattanooga, I've had a lot more time than usual to enjoy cooking for my family and checking out the yoga scene. My favorite studio here in the area thus far is Yoga Landing in Warehouse Row. It's got this amazing charm with exposed brick walls, knowledgeable staff, a speciality soft flooring and windows over looking downtown. Plus they offer childcare during the morning classes on weekdays. My son has truly enjoyed playing with the other kids while I get a chance to practice yoga! It's heaven.
Here is an classic and delicious homemade granola bar I love! Making your own lets you avoid the addition of a multitude of processed sugars. Most granola bars available contain several different sources of sugar. This recipe uses only honey to sweeten and any added to the dried fruit that you choose. It has a variety of different healthy fat including Omega 3's. My favorite part is that they taste great, are easy to make and are highly portable. Enjoy!
1/4 c. raw flax seeds
3 tbl. chia seeds
1/4 c. raw sunflower seeds
1 c. raw almonds
1-1/2 c. rolled oats
1 c. dried blueberries (or your favorite we also like dried cherries, golden raisins and cranberries)
2/3 c. honey
1 tsp. dried cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 9X13 baking dish with coconut oil.
2. In a food processor, grind flax seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds and rolled oats until coarse meal is formed.
3. Stir in the mixed berries, honey, and cinnamon. Use clean hands to combine mixture.
4. Place granola into baking dish. Wash hands and leave moist to press the granola down by hand until flat and even across the top.
5. Bake for approximately one hour to one and a half hours until lightly toasted. Let cool completely in the pan. To cut into 18 bars use a sharp knife to slice down the middle lengthwise in one straight column. Then slice 9 rows across. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.
Keri Marino is an internationally Registered Yoga Teacher and Yoga Therapist. She owns and operates Yoga Unique offering Yoga Therapy, Classes, Workshops and Training in Chattanooga, TN. It is her mission to empower others to have improved quality of life through the practice of Yoga!
I'm a Yoga Therapist, Teacher & Mama Bear who is all in on mindful authentic living. This blog is a collection of my passion for all things yoga, nutrition, health and cooking. Subscribe to the blog for monthly goodies delivered right to your email!